Technological advancement made virtual learning possible. Moreover, the pandemic urgently transitioned academic schools and after school care programs from traditional education to online classes. Even though it is the only option, face-to-face learning still carries a more proven and effective way of teaching and learning than virtual studying.
Many believe that it is a great comfort to study at home. However, parents like you could be realising a lot of work supporting your child’s everyday education. Unlike when your children are at school, the teachers would handle them all day long. You just need to pick them up after school and help them do their homework.
Aside from that, it is quite a huge adjustment and responsibility for parents to handle homeschool online learning. They still need to prepare a cohesive learning environment and other matters involving their studying process.
Before discussing the real advantages of face-to-face learning from online learning, let’s first identify the types of learning approaches.
What is face-to-face learning?
Face-to-face learning is where a teacher and student meet in a set place for either one-on-one learning or, more commonly, in group class lessons similar to a school classroom.
Face to face learning is an extremely effective way to learn knowledge and skills because it combines different ways of learning, including:
- Group work
- Film clips
Already, one can start to see how face-to-face learning can be far more impactful for kids than in virtual learning.
What is virtual learning?
Virtual learning or online learning highlights computers, the internet, and technology to provide students with educational understanding. Learners can communicate with the teachers and classmates through online video conferencing and video platforms like Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, and other software.
However, virtual classrooms face challenges like internet connectivity, time management, adaptability and other technical issues.
So, teachers, parents, and students still need to master the equipment to make virtual learning successful.
In that case, several opinions landed between the option of face-to-face learning and virtual learning. To provide you with clear pieces of evidence, here are some advantages of the traditional face-to-face learning system and how it is compared to today’s online learning setup.
The Advantages of Face to Face Learning in the Classroom
- Better concentration. Students face too many distractions and excuses at home. They could also play with their toys or gadgets and even sleep on their couches during online classes. On the other hand, in face-to-face learning, teachers are supervising all the learners in a classroom setup. They can quickly identify if the child needs extra help to focus on the lecture or activities.
- Greater understanding. Kids can gain more significant levels of performance and knowledge absorption. Stories and real-world examples from teachers and other students are understood more readily.
- Higher possibility to finish the program. Your child has a greater chance of completing a subject successfully by doing it in a classroom situation. They will be able to first-hand observe and experience the activities to help them set up for all the subjects.
- Comfortable and easy. Your kids may feel more comfortable and learn more efficiently in a familiar, traditional classroom situation. Of course, the comfort of staying at home never tops any place. But then, your child’s learning environment with proper chairs, tables, and laboratories with complete equipment drives them more to study.
- More resources and open discussion. Learners can access more information and richer understanding through their teachers and other students. Your children can also ask questions to their teachers right away. In this case, clarification about the lesson is better and more straightforward.
- Improving social skills. Students have the opportunity to connect, problem-solve, and network with other students from a wide range of backgrounds. Through this, your child can enhance their interpersonal skills while communicating with their classmates. It would also help them learn how to present themselves to others not just through words but also through different body languages.
Things to Consider in Choosing Between Face-to-Face Learning and Online Classes
Completion Rates. According to Headspace.org, teacher-led classes is almost 5X higher than that of online learning. It means that traditional education is far more proven and tested rather than the new virtual learning environment. So, it gives a considerable possibility for students to learn more knowledge and skills during face-to-face learning. The completion rate provides strong evidence of why today’s adults and professionals keep a great educational attainment today.
The use of technology and equipment. Another thing you need to consider is the medium of instruction for traditional education and online learning. You could only use gadgets and computers for online learning. Some could provide other materials for homeschool setup, but it limits all students to get one themselves.
However, in traditional education, teachers could use varieties of options. They could use books, modules, and archives available from the library and museum. They could also showcase different hands-on tools and equipment, making it more realistic to the students. Moreover, in face-to-face learning, your children have a chance to learn both with or without technology.
Engagement and Interaction. Online learning is possible, but the quality of teacher-student interaction is limited. The emotional and social health might be affected or compromised. Furthermore, online classes could push the child to connect to people using gadgets, which makes them timid and shy in actual face-to-face interactions.
Motivation and discipline. Without proper parents’ supervision, children could turn off their online conference and start playing games using their laptops or computers. Moreover, your kid could also prefer to sleep and attend online school late. It is very different from traditional learning from where your child is motivated to get up early to eat their breakfast and travel from home to school. They are also excited to meet their friends and join different school activities.
Learning environments. Your kid must master video conferencing’s etiquette, such as the lighting, noise background, camera positioning, and other things to make it successful. Through this, all of the participants are required to learn these things at ones!
Unlike in traditional learning, they would only need to find their classroom, sit in their comfortable chairs, and listen to their teachers. Any distractions are prohibited during the classes making a better teaching and learning environment for everyone.
Physical activities. Kids in the homeschool setup might have a larger place to do everyday exercises and PE classes. They could have a little space for other physical activities. Unlike in schools, it is designed to provide halls, playgrounds, courts, and even large hallways to do various activities. Through this, it allows your child to do more physical things than just sitting at home.
Assessments. One important thing to consider between online learning and face-to-face classes are the assessment. It is the basis of your kid’s knowledge and skill attainment.
In a virtual setup, the teachers could not check the students all the time. A child could cheat or could receive help from the parents or tutors during an activity or assessment. As a result, instructors cannot determine the proper grade of the learning. On the other hand, teachers can give the full extent of attention during paper exams and performance tests in a classroom setup. Through this, traditional learning assessments are more accurate than online learning setup.
Would you let your child learn with face-to-face classes?
If the pandemic seizes and safety is guaranteed, you would be able to send your child to schools. You can now choose between face-to-face classes and virtual learning for your child’s education during that time. So, you can ponder on the information and evidence stated above to prove the productiveness and potency of traditional learning methods to your kid.
Consider both the academic schools and those that offer extracurricular activities for kids. See first how valuable it is to enrol them in face-to-face classes rather than just online tutorials. Through this, your children will surely acquire tremendous knowledge and incredible skills.
What school includes face-to-face and online classes for kids?
Skill Samurai is a kids coding school with a STEM education franchise. It is an after school care program to introduce coding for kids, coding camps, and coding classes for kids. It highlights academic excellence, personality development, and overall skill development. If you would like to allow your child to learn face-to-face about kids’ coding and robotics classes for kids, get started today.
Related Posts :